ut4_oaks_b2

Beta versions of your map
johnnyenglish
Space cake

Re: ut4_oaks_b2

Post by johnnyenglish »

Delirium wrote:Yep it is true, you do need to manually download it but there's nothing I can do, either there is 2 separate pk3s or oaks_b3 is 45mb :/

I've not looked in your pk3 but I'm assuming most of the overhead is _n normal maps which are tgas with opacity, you can reduce the size of these if it helps, they don't need to be the same dimension as the image. I have some normal maps that are 32x32 pixels for images that are 512x512 - obviously some detail is lost but it saves a lot of mb.

_b maps should be jpeg as they contain no opacity.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Yes but the quality of the specularity is awful, I have resized a lot of them. half of my _b maps are smaller sizes

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

it would just be like having a funstuff PK3 blud, or a separate map entirely, no cross reference unless the server has the same pk3

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

If you run bumpy client and you don't have the bumpy files on your client, what happens?

MajkiFajki

Post by MajkiFajki »

If you run bumpy client and you don't have the bumpy files on your client, what happens?

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

bumpy client usually generates _b and _n maps, but they don't have such a high quality or effect as it'd have if you have the bumpy files the client side.
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

I wonder if not having the bumpy files and running the bumpy client causes poorer performance. Because pnk|Cham and fn|Champ (no relation lol) both were getting 40 and below FPS while doing this, and really bad fps drops that were causing them black bars and unplayability.

Now it could be if they had the bumpy files they would still get such poor performance, I don't know.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

If you don't have _n or _b maps in pk3 and r_autobump is set to 0 then nothing will happen at all. Game will look like standard 4.1.
Autobump basically converts the texture to a grayscale image and applies like it would apply a standard _b map. This is a runtime process i believe, hence the poorer performance when using it.
As for their FPS drops they either have poor video cards, bad drivers or they played with bloom turned on (bloom 1 and bloom 5 are equal and high performance hitters, depending on the card, it caused me a lot of FPS drops on radeon x1950, while it actually increases my FPS with GTS 250, weird but true).
I use the bumpy client when i play (which is once in a blue moon). On smaller servers like SG CTF you won't notice a difference. But if you join a bigger server then you will notice a significant performance boost. New pipeline maybe can't handle brush based geometry much better than vanilla but it can handle player and weapon models better.
My performance boost averages from 15% to 25%. Only major performance issue i see in bumpy and UrT HD is reflective water.

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

I never had FPD drops..
Still I've a rather new Graphic Card, less than 1 year...
It's a Radeon HD 6***, dunno the value by head
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

I'm on a Radeon HD 5770 and I'm getting a flat 125 without bumpy and with bumpy a steady 65ish.

It lags for me too, but honestly if you really want to run the good shit in this crap engine you'd need to get something better :/