I finally got to play this map in a real scrim/match setting. First of all, I think you should listen more to the overall feedback of the community than to me (hopefully the community does give a decent amount of feedback). Sometimes I think my feedback is based on a narrow view, not even necessarily my own view but my idea of what I think the populist viewpoint is; like, "if you want all these players to like your map then I think blah blah". The average player probably approaches it with much fresher eyes or something.
Also, I'll be playing on this map again soon and my 2nd impression might be more accurate. (Also my team got beaten pretty badly so that's always going to make people feel bleh.)
Anyhow, my first impressions of Oaks ctf are:
- it feels quite big, maybe too big
- I sort of feel like you are trying to do too much in this map, it has everything, tunnels, roof play, elevation, etc.
- it might feature too much blue/grey-blue making it harder to see blue team than red by quite a bit
- I feel like, what if you blocked off the upstairs flag area and instead put the flag by the merry go round and opened up a new doorway to the tunnel of love from there? <- Or this could be a terrible idea, I need to test the map more.
- I think it succeeds in a lot of ways too though, and I'm really interested in other gamer's opinions.
I have not really "found the flow" of this map in CTF yet, so I'm not really qualified to give good feedback yet if I am honest.
Also, what is the story on the extra bumpy pk3 files? Do they need to be on the server or only the client? I got reports that the map was giving big fps drops and resulting black bars due to low fps, in bumpy mode.