ut4_poland_b4 [test server available]

Beta versions of your map
johnnyenglish
Space cake

Re: ut4_poland_b4 [test server available]

Post by johnnyenglish »

Thank you Myre, thats' very much appreciated, I'm sure the guys will be happy to receive any feedback about their maps and it's good to see another server using quality 3rd party maps.

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

B4 will be used for the FTW Beta Cup tonight and Tuesday, since some teams might have already put the map on their server, it's not worth me confusing matters and pushing B4b at the last second. (I don't care if they play b4 or b4b, but I won't force b4b.)

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

the only difference is some missing textures.

MajkiFajki

Post by MajkiFajki »

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Nice lighting :)
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

Here's my feedback in images: http://alturt.tk/blud/cmm/polandb4/

It includes:
- a couple shots about VIS and area(s) that could maybe use improvement on this?
- clipping so people don't get snagged on walls
- awkwardly spaced light poles
- other notes and ideas, the most major of which is my suggestion for what to block off for TS mode.

(I am not a judge in the contest, this is just my opinions)

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

I agree with tsfence4 and maybe blocking off the first bit of tsfence1(the fence would stop once it hit the wall) but not the others(TS related screenshots) the map itself is smaller than casa's TS map. I think it just takes people to get used to the flow, I had the exact same feedback from people over here on Oaks.
http://gotdelirium.com/maps/preview/oaks_size.png

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

Keep in mind, Casa is the largest TS map around, so aiming to be smaller than it would be totally fine. Also "size" is not just a matter of area covered. In Casa you can stand in the connector by market bridge and look left to see to the market side of the map, and look right to see all the way across to the other edge of the map (narrow). So in a 1v1, that effectively halves the size of the map in terms of like player tracking and hunting.

But in Poland, the 2 big areas I blocked off with fences loop way around and are not accessible from the other side of the map other than going way around. So that means you can have people way on the one side and way on the other doing circles around each other. So you see what I mean, yes that can happen in Casa to a degree, but they can also cut across. Put another way, at the halfway mark of Casa, the map has only 2 areas, Market and Fountain. There is no 3rd area in another line (such as the blocked off CTF "Weapons Crates" area.

Btw your site is down so I can't see that image :|

But I agree that your point is somewhat valid about players needing to get used to the map. All I can say is that right now I feel Poland ts is unwieldy and I wonder how it would feel with the fences (in anticipation of it feeling better).

Even if you ended up being right though, I still think it could use at least some kind of shrinking.

MajkiFajki

Post by MajkiFajki »

Well.

I have a distinct feeling, that good TS map = 2 sec after respawn shoot-out. I don't agree. If initial fight starts a little bit later, giving players time to some tactics and taking good positions it's worth a try. Specially that Poland is NOT a big map. You have 4 areas, all of them need just 2,3 circle jumps to move to next one. But we will see how TS will develop in tests.

And blocking church area is funny to me. The place with a tree next to church area are important - if we cut this we will have just on long laneway :-/ It's not a good idea imo - players will see each other without needing to go deeper into area.

But we will see :)

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

Ok.
And it is true that maybe if players play the map more they will learn the flow and it will feel better (or smaller) to them. But some players I know feel it's too "big".