ut4_coldwar_b5

Beta versions of your map
ValkoVer

ut4_coldwar_b5

Post by ValkoVer »

Im tired of this map, so i decided to release last beta here, and then final on urt.info.I've made new spawn system and changed lighting. I want honest opinions about spawns, flag locations for ctf and cah, bombsities, lighting,detailing, and anything else. I have also normalmaps to do, im not going to make much of them, so pk3 size will be acceptable.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/b0wqqm

inb4 screenshots

ValkoVer

Re: ut4_coldwar_b5

Post by ValkoVer »

meh

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

I didn't even see this release...

Well, this is the last beta but here is some input you could learn from for following maps.
* A larger _blocksize could have been used to reduce the amount of portals visible.
* The scale on some models and doors were a bit tall, its ok to make doorways and tunnels a bit bigger to make jumping a possibility but some are just too tall.
* I think you should move away from the winter themed and terrain maps. You seem to like them but I they don't seem to get played, I think you should move towards a more urban/turnpike feel, with possible terrain ground like Tohunga's cobble ground. I think you could pull that off really well, you defiantly have the talent, you just need a good layout.
* I really like the sound atmosphere, more maps need this realistic feel, it really put me in the environment.
* I noticed you used alpha_000 a lot, to save yourself from using these heaps you could swap the order of the textures in the shader.
* you could probably spread the outside spawns a lot more, I like the random feel of turnpike spawns. 32 units apart is enough but I find that 50+ units is much better
* I love the fact you parachuted spawns from the top of the map, very original and fun!
* gridsize could also have been increased in the worldspawn to save compile time plus to reduce memory usage on the open map. Only worth increasing on open maps
* you used location names such as "red bunker" "blue left bunker" yet there was no visual indication of it being red or blue. this could have been added in various ways such as flags, coloured boxes or colours even on the mini map

Thats all for now <3

JohnMcCain

Post by JohnMcCain »

Any news on this?

Beta 4 can be played on the Urban Terror for Terrorists server, it has a nice winter atmosphere but the map size really kills the player count. Perhaps you can put the bumpy files in a separate pk3, like Delirium did for Oaks.

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

//
Ow ow ow oww! John McCain's 1st post!
JohnnyEnglish was thrilling in IRC when you registered xD
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

JohnMcCain wrote:Any news on this?

Beta 4 can be played on the Urban Terror for Terrorists server, it has a nice winter atmosphere but the map size really kills the player count. Perhaps you can put the bumpy files in a separate pk3, like Delirium did for Oaks.

I'm glad someone like this map, and i will reduce its size, map is practically done, i just need to make normalmaps. BTW b4 was "testmap" for urt hd and its total fail :| b3 is almost same by look, but 3x smaller.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Final mirrored here

Coldwar, also running on CMM server

/connect 86.17.6.130

I dont know if this is because my playing and mapping config is messed up but a quick run through this morning I found this :

shot0147.jpg

JohnMcCain

Post by JohnMcCain »

I don't have this problem. The final has been added to the Urban Terror for Terrorists server.

shot0285.jpg

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Johnny, prolly a 3rd party map?
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

Heh, its "invisible" shader from common, i have made it there so bombmark is visible on terrain. Its probably some mismatch between shader and bumpy executable, try it with vanilla or urt hd. And thanks for putting map on server JohnMcCain :)