Tharsia KO, my knockout map

Final versions of Custom Map Maker maps
JRandomNoob

Tharsia KO, my knockout map

Post by JRandomNoob »

Although currently called alpha 3 it’s pretty much complete, I just need to add a single model and change some surfacesounds. You can download it from the CMM storage (14 MB). Bot support is included, so try it out and post here to tell me how unbelievably awesome gameplay I’ve created.

Tharsia KO is a small version of a map that doesn’t really exist yet — ten days ago when I started chopping off bits to make it suitable for three players I only had a bunch of 256 unit blocks forming a cavernous labyrint. It’s also my first “real” map — I’ve previously released HE Tennis B2 but this was just a quick rebuild of an existing map by SvaRoX (warning: it’s a funmap, a box with respawning nades on the floor).

Johnny was asking for screenshots, so here it goes:

tharsia_ko_a3-3.jpg
tharsia_ko_a3-2.jpg
tharsia_ko_a3-1.jpg

Although dark, the map uses a quite high _mingridlight value (128) so the players are nicely visible. (Or, at the very least, in FFA you don’t have to worry about telling the teams apart.)

Swiiitan

Re: Tharsia KO, my knockout map

Post by Swiiitan »

Very cool map and i really like the whole Vault concept!

Made me inspired to make one myself. I busted my ass of to find the perfect game of inspiration and i found it :D
So i wanna thank you!

The layout is enough for 3 players but i still think it feels kinda empty at some places( you already know cause i talked to you at IRC so ^^)

Overall really nice for a first map!

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

I really liked the gaming on it.

My only advice is to change the spawns in order to remove them from the choke points
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

JRandomNoob

Post by JRandomNoob »

xandaxs: More specific suggestions? I put the spawns in what I felt were the most natural places, as much out of the way as possible, only two of them I think are kinda “open”. Might be the author’s bias though, can’t see the flaws of your own creation…

Levelshot:
Attachments
ut4_tharsia_ko_b1.png

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

I'd like to host a 1vs1 tournament on your map with your permission!
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

JRandomNoob

Post by JRandomNoob »

Yesterday someone from UTSC asked whether they could use this map for their own knockout this Saturday. Since it was built specifically for Urban Zone I thought that maybe they’d want to keep it for themselves until it has been played. However…

Nov 07 16:32:32 <eya_allam> we can share :)
Nov 07 16:32:43 <eya_allam> it's just not going to be brand new when we use it
Nov 07 16:32:44 <eya_allam> :)

So yeah, grab it and abuse it.

BTW, the map (the geometry part) as well as my scratchbuilt textures are Creative Commons Attribution — everyone’s free to improve or extend it. All other assets are credited and the licenses specified. See the readme and credit files in the PK3 for details. For textures that have undergone significant modifications the Gimp XCF files will be released in the near future.

JRandomNoob

Post by JRandomNoob »

Release thread on the official forum.

ut4_tharsia_ko_b1 (current)
ut4_tharsia_ko_a3
ut4_hugo_a2
ut4_hugo_a1 (SpeedyShare link; since this site has confused several people, I’d better point out that the download link is at the very top of the page)

The BSP, the raw MAP file (included in the PK3) and all my scratch-built textures are released as CC-BY (Creative Commons Attribution); see the readme in the PK3 for details. All the textures that I created or significantly modified for this map as well as the ASE models can be downloaded as a compressed archive from my DeviantArt account. The assets pack includes the same credits files as the PK3, containing full credits, sources and license information for each asset.

Nstar

Post by Nstar »

Howdy J

I'm not the UTSC guy who asked about using your map, but I was the on server admin of the event. We used it for the final round of 3, and it played flawlessly.
Spawns were great, and the flow was awesome. I don't remember anyone getting killed right as they spawned, yet, it never took long for players to find someone to shoot at.
Also, it looks great! It's a little dark for my taste, but it's a lot of fun to move around in, and the textures are awesome.
We used the b1 version btw...
One thing to note, is that playing 1v1 in FFA (not sure if that will ever come up) you can become pretty adept at camping spawns. What I mean is that when I played 1v1 FFA on it, I could kill the enemy and then rush to 1 of the spawn points and wait (and better than 50% of the time, it would be the correct spawn point. I don't know if that's even avoidable on a small map like that though. That wasn't at all the case once you introduce a 3rd player though, so I assume it has nothing to do with the map, and more to do with 1v1 FFA as opposed to TS.
Anyway, thanks for making this map and agreeing to let us use it before UZ. I have a feeling it will become a knockout standard for final rounds. It's really perfect for that!