external lightmaps

Having a problem with a shader or texture
Rayne
Site Admin

external lightmaps

Post by Rayne »

Anyone here tried using external lightmaps?
I've been trying to use the instructions from smoking guns but i just can't get them to work.
So if anyone has used them before and got results similar to those on smoking guns, please make a step by step guide on exactly what goes where and how to use them. That is one thing i just can't figure out for the life of me.

Delirium

Re: external lightmaps

Post by Delirium »

Im assuming your following this? http://sgq3-mapping.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... htmap.html

that works for me.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Delirium wrote:Im assuming your following this? http://sgq3-mapping.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... htmap.html

that works for me.

yeah i used that one, i just don't get it, i use the first shader and apply it on teh texture i want to display a higher res lightmap? And then what.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Do a normal compile and it will auto generate the lightmap images and a shader which is in your scripts folder named q3map2_*mapname*

you just include them in your pk3 in the corosponding directories

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

i still can't get it if i write the first line witha full path to the texture then the texture is missing in game and the q3map2 shader is written, if i add_h at the end of the texture name then the shader isn't being written at all.
the lightmap image generated is only larger in size, but the shadows are always small, the square is bigger but the shadows don't gain in resolution one bit.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

The textures are in your map folder i think? idk i know if you follow that exactly you should get it. though its no different to increasing the lightmapscale on a func group

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Delirium wrote:The textures are in your map folder i think? idk i know if you follow that exactly you should get it. though its no different to increasing the lightmapscale on a func group

i know where it is, I'm staring at it right now, it's 1024x1024 but the area where the actual shadow are is just as small as it was before.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

in addition, the q3map2 shader is constantly referring to an image that doesn't even exists.
map maps/texture_test/lm_0000.tga
and i have lm_0000_0.tga

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

Last edited by bludshot on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

well i still have no idea how to use external lightmaps, but on the good side i did manage to get shadows almost as sharp and precise with _lightmapscale and light entities. Only problem is they're very very dark now and I'm not sure how to brighten them without generating the stadium effect which requires more blur and thus kills remaining shadows.