Not shiny normalmaps

Having a problem with a shader or texture
ValkoVer

Not shiny normalmaps

Post by ValkoVer »

Hey, anyone know how to make normalmaps that are not shiny like glass, as example for wood, while still looking "deep", i've been trying to make them more transparent in gimp, but they look almost flat, and still little shiny :F

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Re: Not shiny normalmaps

Post by johnnyenglish »

I want to say take the blue out of the _n image but I know rayne, the master of normal maps has a better solution.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

Hmm seems like it should work, but instead of black on blue channel, I have it blue as hell when i paint it black

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

ValkoVer wrote:Hmm seems like it should work, but instead of black on blue channel, I have it blue as hell when i paint it black

Hell i know it will work i add this to every texture i make.
Here look at these 2 screen shots, i made a normal map and applied it to a simple fully gray texture so it's easier to see what the normal map will do.

On the first screen shot you can see that there is depth, and it's nicely visible. But the problem is this depth depends on the specular channel and as such it's only visible under specific angles.

However on the second screen shot i used a normal map with blue channel as occlusion. Now you can see both shadows and highlights. So a texture always has depth, regardless the specular.

Your RGB image will be blue if the blue channel is too dark. You have to keep in mind that you have to adjust the brightness and contrast so it's not too strong.

Can you show me the texture you have so i can show you on it how it should look like?
Attachments
shot0128.jpg
shot0127.jpg

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

blah blah
Attachments
blah blah
blah blah

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Something like this?
Would have been easier if i had the diffuse mas so i can generate the normal map from scratch and add the alpha but OK.
Attachments
rock_grey2_n.jpg
shot0137.jpg

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

Its exactly what i want, but i just can't get it right in gimp (its strong blue, and moving these sliders do nothing)

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

I'll take a look at gimp tomorrow and try to figure it out.

GanjaGuy

Post by GanjaGuy »

works for me in gimp, when i get home ill post what i get and how
also have you tired doing it this way wiki/index.php/Textures:Advanced_Normal_Maps_Creation
i find that depending on the texture im trying to make one method works better then the other some times.