func_breakable problem

Brushwork, patches and other issues
RedSnappa

func_breakable problem

Post by RedSnappa »

I know how to use func_breakable to make a breakable glass window. I recently experimented with a stone func_breakable in a floor that has to be blown up to be broken, and got that to work. (type=7, health=50, shards=8) But then I put the same func_breakable with the same parameters underwater and oriented it as a wall instead of a floor, and it doesn't work. Players just pass through it like it is a holographic wall with no solidity. Do breakables not work underwater, do I need to set the axis key to 1 or 2, or am I doing something else wrong?
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

Delirium

Re: func_breakable problem

Post by Delirium »

they do, check you havent used nodraw on the sides or that the shader has surfaceparm nonsolid (if so remove it)

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

Oops, I thought I needed nodraw on the sides. I did it with the glass ones and the ceiling stone ones and they worked.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Each brush has a content type, solid/nonsolid/water/lava or slime, but each brush has several faces, each of which can be textured with a different shader that has a unique content type. If you have a brush thats textured with caulk (a solid texture) on some sides and a nonsolid shader on another the compiler will take the content type of the first surface it comes across when compiling the map. Its left up to the mapper to ensure that a brush has the same content type on each surface of the brush.
Now you've used 2 content types on your window, 1 is nonsolid while the window is solid yet transparent.
for transparent brushes you should use weaponclip instead of caulk/nodraw to avoid this problem