MAX_MAP_DRAW_INDEXES

For all topics related to using or installing radiant
RedSnappa

Re: MAX_MAP_DRAW_INDEXES

Post by RedSnappa »

The trisoup is 128x128 for the most part. I use FS_q3map_Radbump_4a.
arctica18.jpg
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

vulture

Post by vulture »

Well that accounts for about 4k brushes. Do you have any curved surfaces? If you use too many subdivisions on those, they can easily cost you a lot of brushes. If I had to guess though, I'd just say it's because of your one large open area with lots of non-coplanar brushes. I'm not sure if there's a brush option to make that any better for your terrain, but I'd imagine a patch mesh would be more efficient at storing the terrain internally.

The Radbump_4a is based on super old code (as far as I could tell) that is less efficient and less precise at optimizing stuff. I've reduced the size of my bsp's by as much as 50% by using Rambetter's q3map2 patched with the experimental math stuff. When I decompile compiled bsps that were based on old code, I would see vertices that had like 17.001 instead of 17.000 all over, for all dimensions on many brushes. Newer q3map2's are more precise and also as a result, you also save space because you don't need to store these slightly offset coordinates. You lose the bumpy aspect, but you might save a ton of bsp space by using one of the upgraded q3map2's.

As for my suggestion, I recommend you make a backup of your .map, then remove large sections of your map one step at a time, recompile, and test to see if you've saved any space. When you find some big thing, I guess you've found your problem. :P My first recommendation would be to try removing all your terrain and see if that helps. Still, there's another 10k brushes outside of your terrain, which seems like a lot (unless you've got some curved geometry).

vulture

Post by vulture »

P.S. I went back and checked on my old uber map, it was actually # planes I had that was massive:

Code: Select all

brush total: 32073
plane total: 181966
pmesh total: 130

entity totals:
  brush: 189
  point: 683
  light: 2126

05/14/2012  10:27 PM        41,372,436 gen.bsp

But I'm still able to load with com_hunkmegs 128, so it's got to just be something about strange your map.

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

Maybe I should just link my .map file here to see if someone can tell me what I have done wrong. I am also having MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY issues when I try the VIS stage of compiling. I probably just need a lot more hint brushes though.

Where is a download link for Rambetter's q3map2?
Last edited by RedSnappa on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation

Rylius
King wiki

Post by Rylius »

Hint brushes won't help you at all, the map is way too open for VIS to have any effect. You could leave it away and it won't change much.
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> I did like a reverse jizz
<Delirium> in my pants
<Delirium> my jeans went into my sack
<Delirium> through my dick

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

Deleted post
Last edited by RedSnappa on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.

vulture

Post by vulture »

I'm not sure what a good way would be to select and delete all of your terrain brushes would be, but that'd be a good place to start, just to see how much space that costs you (as per my suggestion in my long post above).

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

Great news everyone. The error had nothing to do with my map, and everything to do with the fact that I forgot to cut down some .wav files. I had one that was 4 minutes long and 42 MB in size. Now that this is cut down to ~9 seconds and 700 KB, the map loads without any problems.

I doubt that I can get VIS to work on something like this, but at least it will run now. I suppose the next thing I will try is to make all of my terrain brushes details and put some structural brushes just beneath the surface of them in a much smoother fashion.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.