Bot support for large/complicated maps

For all topics related to using or installing radiant
RedSnappa

Bot support for large/complicated maps

Post by RedSnappa »

I have several large/complicated maps that I want to create .aas files for, but when I run bspc.exe, I get ERROR: MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES. From the main site:

ERROR: MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES
You have two choices: cut down on the number of brushes in your map, or don't add bot support. You can try putting clip brushes around heavily detailed brush work, but no guarantees that it will work.

Clipping heavily detailed brushes/patches has not worked. Removing or simplifying heavily detailed brushes/patches has not worked.

What should I do? Is there a better bspc.exe than version 2.1? Should I be using a different program for this?
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

DagF

Re: Bot support for large/complicated maps

Post by DagF »

They are note refering to player clip. They are refering to bot clip.
Not sure if you know that?

Have a look here if you havent already: wiki/index.php/Bots:Adding_bots_to_your_map#Using_bot_clip

:)

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

DagF wrote:They are not referring to player clip. They are referring to bot clip.
Not sure if you know that?

Yes, I know that. But on that note, will player clip stop bots, or do I need to either make a combined playerclip/botclip shader or overlay player clip and bot clip brushes?

It would appear that terrain causes bspc.exe the most problems. The maps that won't convert to .aas all have a large amount of trisoup in them.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Create a simplified version of your map, no details, no brushes bots can't reach, use that as a base to create the bot file.

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

Rayne wrote:Create a simplified version of your map, no details, no brushes bots can't reach, use that as a base to create the bot file.

1. I have a lot of terrain that is detail. Removing it would lead to bots getting stuck in the ground, wouldn't it? (I can't make the terrain structural or the maps take forever to compile, if they compile at all.)
2. I should leave liquids in, right?
3. Do I remove patches and models as well?
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Remove all decorative stuff you don't need. Leave only the brushes on which bots can actually walk. Barebone map, no details, just slap one simple texture on it so you can test it before making the bot file.
You don't need liquids, if you have a lake in the map you don't want bots to fall in.