CAH layout

Inspiration and ideas for layouts
RedSnappa

CAH layout

Post by RedSnappa »

What are the basics for designing a great Capture and Hold map? Is it best to have an even or odd number of capturepoints?
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

Delirium

Re: CAH layout

Post by Delirium »

Odd number. normally 3, 1 is boring and 5 is too much.

All flags should ideally be equal distance between both spawns. or you could have a linear layout

MajkiFajki

Post by MajkiFajki »

Null has written nice article - it's a good place to start imo.

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

The only number of flags you should have is 1, 3, or 5. Tiny maps would have 1, regular maps 3, and larger maps 5. One should be in the center of the map. The other ones should be equidistant from each team's spawn to make it fair.

In a map with 1 flag, think snoppis. IMO CAH is actually fun in snoppis. One flag would suit 4 to 8 players imo.

With 3 flags, each team will have a base flag or a flag just outside their base, in either case, don't have the flag right where they spawn. So, at where a ctf flag would be or a bit further. And then 1 flag in the center. The layout should allow for at least some level of flanking. Or the battle for center will be 1 dimensional. 3 flags would suit 8 to 14 players.

Note, I have seen it said that there is no point in having a base flag in CAH since "the team will always control their own base flag". But imo, there is a point, which is to allow for fast sneak back door caps to break up hard camps in center. Without this, you would lose a valuable counter to camping. And we all know camping in UrT is rampant and slows the game down. The issue is that a smart CAH team would realize they only need 2 out of the 3 flags, and not bother risking trying to cap the 3rd enemy flag which would obviously subject them to death, weakening their hold on center. It is only the assumption that players will make that aggressive move that makes people think that it's enough to combat camping - but there is no wise reason for the players to make that move.

With 5 flags, I would put the base flag at around the same location as a CTF flag. The center flag is obviously in the center of the map. The other 2 flags you have some options for how to place those. They can either be "in a line" between the 2 bases, OR, you can place them on opposite sides of the map (on the left and right sides) depending on how you want the map to flow. 5 flags would suit 12 to 20 players. You want at least minor flank routes to the 2nd flag from the enemy base (ie: at least 1), and you definitely want good flanking access to the center flag.

If the enemy is able to camp the middle flag really well, it could make the game boring. So, you need to have route(s) for a team to circumvent them and back door cap the flags behind middle.

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

I'm working on an idea for CAH with 27 points in a 3x3x3 cube layout with vertical water tunnels that could not exist in real life as a means of vertical travel. I could also do this on a smaller map for absolute chaos.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

You should take a look @ ut4_subway.
For me it's the best CAH map in urt 4.1.1

Lots of fun in there :)
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

RedSnappa wrote:I'm working on an idea for CAH with 27 points in a 3x3x3 cube layout with vertical water tunnels that could not exist in real life as a means of vertical travel. I could also do this on a smaller map for absolute chaos.

lol.. why are you asking for real CAH layout guidelines if you are just making a wacky fun map anyway..

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

Because I am doing both :)

I am making a wacky fun map based on MC Escher drawings and other impossible constructions, which will have 27 CAH_capturepoints. But I also want to learn how to make a good strategic map for CAH. It is a much under-utilized gametype IMO and I think I can do something about that.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

27 CAH points? Im not playing that...