Welcome to CMM

The CMM forum software was recently upgraded, some things may have changed and some things may be broken or not working. Please let me know by PM or on IRC if you have any problems using this forum.

Also, I've removed the skybox and shader links for now, the shader generator page was being abused and as we're moving towards a ue4 mapping base, they're redundant.

Automating creating textures and effects using ImageMagick

Resources for images
johnnyenglish
Space cake

Automating creating textures and effects using ImageMagick

Postby johnnyenglish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:01 am

Here's a little tool thats been around a long time and quite popular in situations where images need to be created using scripts (captchas, etc). It's also excellent as a tool for mappers.

It's command line only, versions for windows, linux and mac and comes with a set of utilities.

The most common utility is called convert, it can be used to convert image types, resize, crop, create images and a lot more.

Creating images using imagemagick

For a full list of all the capabilities see Imagemagick use

I use Imagemagick tools quite often, I always strip out exif and ipct information from all images (even my camera writes this information to images) and this information can sometimes bloat images. I can strip this out using a single like

mogrify -strip *.jpg

I use the utility to resize all my images (using a script) so I always have power of 2 images.

Once you start reading into the capabilities of this tool you'll find a great many ways to use it.

xandaxs

Re: Automating creating textures and effects using ImageMagi

Postby xandaxs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:39 am

Looks nice and useful...
I'll try it
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?