Bots and servers

A forum to discuss Urban Terror
Teerasas

Bots and servers

Post by Teerasas »

Hey guys and mostly Johny,

Didn't know where to put it, so i put it here, hope it's ok. I'm having this local server for people i invite, hosted from my comp., and we kinda want to pwn the bots, but they crash the server extremely often. I remembered Your CTF server with the whole team of brainless goos, thought id ask what did You do to make bots work? Or anyone, any tips?

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Re: Bots and servers

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hooray Teerasas is here!

What I did was buy a really expensive rack mount server (HP prolient) - installed 64-bit ubuntu and the ran only 1 instance of vanilla (not 4.11) 64-bit Urt loaded up with 16 bots.

It was the stupidest idea I ever had but the server was full for 2 years solid and rose to 5th most popular server worldwide at one point. It had 57,000 player ids in the b3 db when we finally closed it down.

If you're crazy enough to try it again read the CMM wiki

Good luck - and welcome back

nemNEMnem

Post by nemNEMnem »

sry johnny, but i have to correct you.... :(
the crashing of the server has absoulutly nothing to do with the OS...
if u want to start a server with bots, you have to watch these things if you want that the server is alive:

- the server should NOT to be 4.1.1
- there should NO custommaps which doesnt works with bots (those who dont have any .aas files inside)
- in the mapcycle should only stand the maps which work with bots (dressing room, abbey, turnpike...) and NO MAP who does not work with bots (eagle and alot of other stockmaps)

now the server should work fine. (me and lux worked this out)
for a big tree, you need a small axe.
--Bob Marley--

Teerasas

Post by Teerasas »

Hehe, I'm glad too :) I've quit UrTfor like 2 months because of lack of new content in the game and my stubborness to try other games, but now I'm playing a little again, but mostly with friends on my minigame maps which happen to be extra fun with bots :).

your expensive server idea is a little off my price range, because i spend most of my money on gym and pool-related stuff (that game where You've to knock colorful balls into pockets using white ball, not swimming thing, i get that along with the gym).

nemNEM's idea seems okay! But as i said, I'm running a "local" server, so i shouldnt have non-bot maps at my q3ut4 folder or at mapcycle.txt? Anyways, thanks guys, gonna try these things now!

Oh, and 1 more thing: How can i have only bot-supported maps if alot of vanilla UrT's maps arent?

OH man, it worked, thanks! Hi5!

Runamok

Post by Runamok »

there are some maps that crash bots (it might even just be the number of maps) I've had bots crash when they shouldn't, and not crash where they should.

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

im a pro bot server master anti-noob ;) lol ask me anything

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

I think bots crash during spawns, game tries to spawn bots on as few spawn points to leave the rest for real players and then bots crash.
If a map has too few spawn points it will try to spawn several bots in one point in the same time and then shit hits the fan.
I could easily be wrong on this but IMO it makes sense. Like people being dropped from the server with "reliable command cycled out" error. I think that one too is related to spawn points. Too many people attempt a respawn at the same time, game can't handle the load cause of a lack of spawn points and extra load gets dropped.

Teerasas

Post by Teerasas »

Hm, I was happy for a short moment but bots still do crash on CTF with 1 friend on and 4 bots on Turnpike. According to Rayne, bots wouldn't crash at TS? Any other tips :)?

(Sure, they work alot longer, but that doesn't matter as it crashes whole server out :()

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

As far as I know I'm the only person who ever managed to get bots to run on casa and turnpike in ctf/tdm without crashing the server - and I did it for 2 years.

Read my first post, then the wiki - if you can't run 16 bots + 16 humans on casa + turnpike for 2 weeks without crashing the server you're wasting your time.

If you do manage it I'll bet you you're using 64-bit ubuntu and my 64-bit binary.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Thats actually quite impressive JE