4.2 first impressions and problems?

A forum to discuss Urban Terror
Rayne
Site Admin

Re: 4.2 first impressions and problems?

Post by Rayne »

I really can't believe i wasted my time on downloading this.
Hits are actually worse than in 4.1 and seem to be above all random as hell. I've seen bullets flying at me from nowhere.
People standing 10 feet away from me shooting to the left and hitting me while not a single of my hits manages to deal any damage.
I shoot 2 feet above a guy's head and get a headshot....And that's just in 45 minutes i played.

Animations are absolutely appalling. Players look like they will fall on their backs, when they move the movement is so fast and jerky it's like watching a half retarded humming bird trying to have sex with an eagle but doesn't knows from which side to attack.

FS team has failed again. The only reason i see why would anyone play this is the auth system that will keep cheaters out once they're banned. For few minutes till they create a new account at least.

Oh and BTW don't expect to see UrT HD released any time soon, FS team's lead engine developer hasn't been around in months.
So basically 4.2 is it, have fun I just finished uninstalling it.

Rylius
King wiki

Post by Rylius »

Auth doesn't work with non-vanilla clients.
Non-vanilla clients show all servers instead of only 4.2 ones, trying to connect results in an error message: "Invalid game folder" which won't help anyone without at least some technical knowledge.

Sorry, the release feels very rushed and unfinished. I'd rather waited another 3 weeks to have a properly working game instead of this mess.
I'm making games myself and I know how troublesome releases are, but please, take the time and do it right - there would be people complaining if it'd be delayed, but there will be a lot more people complaining about how broken this release is.
UrT is a great and very polished game, but the engine powering it needs so much more work right now. I'm very glad about the bugfixes and improvements done to the game (haven't checked out the new animations yet), but the client/auth-crashing-server issues just spoil all that for me.
Please, please, please, take your time in the future - this isn't the quality you can provide. I have full trust in you fixing all these problems, but for the next time - please, just delay the release. I know people will get upset at first, but if it went through QA another time and simply works on release, everyone will be happy in the end.
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> I did like a reverse jizz
<Delirium> in my pants
<Delirium> my jeans went into my sack
<Delirium> through my dick

Dougy

Post by Dougy »

You guys are lucky, i can't even install the piece of shit, some f**ktard seems to have made a cross-platform game with universal binaries in to a game where a univeral binary is nowhere to be seen, especially for mac as i am running a Mac G4 PowerPC Dual-Core 2.47Ghz and now i'm still stuck on 4.1.1 but i guess from the reviews you guys have put across it might be better staying where i am...

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Well after a day of playing, still not able to get the authkey to be read by the client, the autopickup "feature" seems to have broken the skeet map reloaders, even setting this to -1 doesn't work.

The hit detection seems worse if anything, or I'm firing blanks.

The last man standing format seems to be, spawn, hide somewhere, pop up when everyone is dead and claim the prize.

Our servers have randomly locked or restarted several times, I'm going back to 4.1 for now.

I agree with Rylius, FS should have spent a little more time getting this working.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

And now their strongest argument will be "we're not payed to do this, we do this for fun".
No shit Sherlock, i can't imagine why in God's name would anyone pay them to make crap like this.
If BK is unable to lead that team properly and find talented people that are ready to invest some time into this then she should step down and let someone else take over team management.

She told me once UrT is the ONLY game she plays. Probably why 2.6 is 10 times more fun to play than 4.2
If she is the person that determines what is and what isn't included in the game, then how can she approve something new like ironsights if she never in her life played a game that uses them.

banksy

Post by banksy »

I am using a mac, I got my auth key to work (library>app support>quake3>authkey)
I also got it installed by using a external source: http://fid-clan.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t ... 976#p13976

I find the animations to be a tad unrealistic, but i prefer them over 4.2 (the death animations anyway)
Player skins contrast a lot more, which is a plus
The nade explosions are too realistic for UrT, that they dont fit in with the cartoonish look of UrT
Auth system is a plus (but it will be a matter of time before some problem arises)
UrtUpdater has its problems, hopefully this is fixed.
I also noticed that looking at other players from certain angles, makes their helmets white and untextured.

Overall now that I have gotten 4.2 to work, I prefer it over 4.1.1 (Though I had hoped they would have spent more time on it, as well as including the new weapons models/animations, as well as the P90 that was proposed for 4.2 aaaages ago.

:)

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Now they're saying we can't hit anything cause we're used to the old hit mesh and our aim needs to adjust?
I have never in the last 8 years even tried to shoot 10 feet away from the player and try to get a hit.
If i aim i aim for the player model, always have always will. I don't assume the hit mesh is lagging and guess where it really is/was/will be.

I always thought Bohemia is Del's map.

Anyone wanna make a video game with me LMAO?

banksy

Post by banksy »

Personally I don't find a whole lot of difference with the mesh, that's only the case to those who spam. But what i found is that when two players power slide into each other while both shooting, everything goes weird. It seemed like they teleported through me and got instant headshot. i dont know :L

What game are we talking about :P Rayne you should come help me over at Unvanquished :)

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

I took a look at Unvanquished and i really can't see a single reason why i or anyone else interested in level design would spend one minute on that game.
Why jump from one shitty engine to another. I'm waiting on CS:GO and Overdose. Those crappy indie games based on the default idtech3 are a thing of the past and not worth my time or effort anymore.

banksy

Post by banksy »

I see where your'e coming from, but I like the style of the idtech engine :P (however bad it is)
Possibly when I get my Imac I will begin mapping with hammer, or even unreal/cry. In due time :)