Urban Terror moves on to Unreal 4

A forum to discuss Urban Terror
FrankieV

Urban Terror moves on to Unreal 4

Post by FrankieV »

Sooooo

If you have not heard the news we are taking our bats and balls and moving everything over to EU4 for Urban Terror HD.

Let the fun times begin. :D

Questions?

Rayne
Site Admin

Re: Urban Terror moves on to Unreal 4

Post by Rayne »

Ok so let's see if i got this right.
If i want to make a map for UrT HD i have to pay 20$ per month for...well quite some time till I learn the UDK 4, and then continue paying 20$ per month till my map is released.

Which can be anything from 3 months to 3 years.

It doesn't sound like a viable option to be honest. If i understood the whole thing right, and i think i did. Since i can't acquire UDK 4 without a credit card.

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

Copy and paste.

Nope.

You can subscribe, grab all of the toys, and then unsubscribe if you wish and not pay a cent more than what it took to get UE4 beyond the 20 bucks. Hell of a value right there.

Things to consider before your quick to judge.

This is a first adopter release to get the Indy groups like FrozenSand up to speed with the things that are “needed” and is going to take a lot of work still on Epics part to polish and add all of the things that needs to be done and to us 19 bucks a month and “only” a 5% royalty fee is one hell of a licensing agreement( per seat).

Next once you get into their network look around and see what you get access to.

This Market place is going to be huge as you will be able to purchase quality assets, download free content, or even sell/upload your own and even make money on the side.

That but as well.

You get access to the freaking UE4 source code.

In the mean time if you just want UE4 then you can wait it out. Epic is still working out the licensing requirements for those that wants to play with UE4 but have no desire to produce a commercial product .

BUT

If you change your mind you just re-subscribe and your licensed once again.

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

Wow... I haven't posted anything here, or on urt forums in a while. I'm happy and worried at the same time. Frankie, how difficult will be exporting map that has been made almost entirely in 3dsmax to this new engine? Map that has been made with urban terror engine limitations in mind, will have a chance to compete with maps made from scratch in UT4 editor? Anyway, I have to upgrade my PC if I want to play urt in future :| Good thing is a lot more new players will come to play urt, bad thing is whole lot of them will be annoying kids and n00bs.

banksy

Post by banksy »

This is good news imo!! Unreal 3was decent enough, but 4 is epic! I look forward to hearing more of the development

Although will we see any Macintosh releases or will the new engine only allow for PC?

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

ValkoVer wrote:Wow... I haven't posted anything here, or on urt forums in a while. I'm happy and worried at the same time. Frankie, how difficult will be exporting map that has been made almost entirely in 3dsmax to this new engine? Map that has been made with urban terror engine limitations in mind, will have a chance to compete with maps made from scratch in UT4 editor? Anyway, I have to upgrade my PC if I want to play urt in future :| Good thing is a lot more new players will come to play urt, bad thing is whole lot of them will be annoying kids and n00bs.

Well to find that out we took the Casa.map file, converted to mesh, exported to FBX and tada instant conversion in a mater of a few days.

To make a map you “do not need” 3ds Max, just an editor that support FBX and how easy it is after that is drag and drop. There are some requirements, like the need for a simplified collision detection, but if you expert with GTK then I see little as to converting over. If not then that's why I'm here.

After that how far one can push the engine is really up to you guys as we plan on keeping things a bit more on the reasonable side. (yeah right) ;)

banksy wrote:This is good news imo!! Unreal 3was decent enough, but 4 is epic! I look forward to hearing more of the development

Although will we see any Macintosh releases or will the new engine only allow for PC?

Already a Mac version available with Linux on it's way.

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

As a side note while working on your map projects if you make top notch assets like, prefabs or materials, you can put together an asset package and sell it on Epic's marketplace and make some money.

LynXIII

Post by LynXIII »

Finally the move to a proper Engine, good decision FS!

I might even consider to invest some time again into mapping, once a free map editor is released for UE4 (Or the whole package reached a mature state).
Then again, I'm busy enough with my PhD and my babyboy :D

Map on guys and gals!

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

To get the ball rolling I made a plea over at the Unreal forums for a free access map editor.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... #post47361

If inclined please show your support as the sooner a game safe editor is made available the sooner mappers can start on their conversions and new designs.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

At some point we're going to have to work all this 3rd party map inclusion out, how will it work, what can be included, how will maps be included.

A dedicated game editor would be preferable but it's probably not a practical solution because it would take more time to develop than the game itself.

Perhaps just a style guide document would be best for now.