Moving targets

General mapping discussions
Reaper{DKMs}

Moving targets

Post by Reaper{DKMs} »

Hello all,
I am currently working on a map with firing ranges. In the firing range section are 8 ranges. Range one is open. But range 2 - 8 are behind closed doors. When you go to range 1 and shot the bulls-eye, that set up as a button with health 1. When you shot it, it opens the next door. so on and so forth.

Now my question is, I want to make a range with moving targets!!!

Samething, the bulls-eye is a button and moving. Is this possible and how?

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Re: Moving targets

Post by johnnyenglish »

I dont think you can do this because you cannot put an entity on another entity... but I look forward to someone suggesting a novel idea.

Reaper{DKMs}

Post by Reaper{DKMs} »

Yea I didn't think so. But I was kinda hoping, lol :D

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Reaper{DKMs} wrote:Yea I didn't think so. But I was kinda hoping, lol :D

well you could......no it wont work, or maybe.....nah that wont work either....sorry but i can't think of a way this can be done.
I got one idea that more than likely wont work.
Make a target a 2D image. Place the target on the right side of a 1024x256 canvas (canvas width determines the distance target will travel so you have to adjust it). Add alpha channel to the image, so you mask out everything but the target.
Now I got absolutely no idea if this would work. But if you apply a shader to this image that will make parts of the image painted black by the alpha channel transparent, add surfaceparm missile clip to it, i think the transparent area should not stop bullets but the target itself will (again i have no clue if this will work, probably wont).
Add tcmod scroll to the shader, so the target moves in desired direction, and i think you MIGHT have a working moving target that can be used for a button.

v3nd3tta

Post by v3nd3tta »

move the cover in front of a huge button around, that would work.

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

I'm not sure I really understand the image above, but here's is my idea:

Instead of a small bullseye target, make a large red wall (solid color would work best for the illusion) and if you shoot this wall anywhere you have hit the target. Then, in front of that wall, make another wall that moves around, and put a hole in that wall. You can do the graphics of the map in a tricky illusion way that makes it look to the player that there is a red circle moving around :)

Reaper{DKMs}

Post by Reaper{DKMs} »

Dude, thats genius! Thanks everyone

Teerasas

Post by Teerasas »

lol, ive made that: ive made some normal non- moving targets with func_buttons and made the room the players are in move, and that worked alrite, noone noticed it was the room actually moving

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

clever. n1