New FS mapper

General mapping discussions
xandaxs

Re: New FS mapper

Post by xandaxs »

I think they should grab some mroe mappers into the jumping develpment of URT, like:
- Cookie (great graphical artist)
- Moonie (good graphical artist, urt "know-it-all")

Most of the good jump mappers have already left the game..
And you can't say Delirium is better @ jump mapping as he never actually released a jump map..

@Skob, levant is a great mapper, not just good... althoguh i think the great masterpieces were made by landouille.
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

I don't think FS needs more than 1 jumps mapper tbh. Throwing more people at a project does not always have good results. IMO, HD only needs between 1 and 3 stock jumping maps. In fact 1 single jumping map with easy, medium and hard paths would suffice for HD. Then of course the idea would be the community would create more.

Also, I cannot speak for Del, but I do not think he would even want to be in FS. Whether he does or not, imo, Del can do more impressive things for himself on his own than in FS. Don't forget, FS has always been quite aimless and meandering, and their overall game plan for the last 7 years seems to have been random dev team members randomly wanting to put this and that into the game, but with no clear goal.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

To be honest having my maps in HD would be sweet but i find if your 3rd party map is good enough people will play it. eg orbital.
I dont care that much for being a Dev, though my maps would get played alot more i still see it as just a title

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Bludshot.. Why does it only need 1 jump map but you need like 10 or 12 frag maps in your
Jumping became famous, and it is nowadays as played as frag servers..

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

Because it only takes 1 jump map to showcase the new jumps mode and then the jumping community can add 3rd party maps.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

bludshot wrote:Because it only takes 1 jump map to showcase the new jumps mode and then the jumping community can add 3rd party maps.

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Then you only need 1 frag map for the effect aswell...

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

xandaxs wrote:Then you only need 1 frag map for the effect aswell...

Well, you would need a CTF map, TS map, TDM map, Last man Standing map, etc. Also they essentially *already have* a bunch of frag maps from the previous version of the game. If they did not already have frag maps, like if HD was a 100% new game (instead of just a 98% new game) with no previous maps, then yes, I would agree that it only needs 1 map for each mode on first release and then maybe map packs later.

But CTF and TS are established modes that are like 50 times more popular than Jumping maps. Jumps mode is a brand new mode being introduced. So it only makes sense to have lots of frag maps and few jumps maps. Also, I find it is much easier for 3rd party mappers to produce many good jumps maps quickly than to create frag maps. So if HD had only 1 frag map, the mapping community would *not* supply us with a dozen quality frag maps in short order.

But if HD has only 1 jumps map, the jumping community *will* supply us with a ton of quality jumps maps quickly. "Quality" in a jumps map is a much lower standard and easier to achieve than in a frag map. You can have a map like vertigo or jupiter with a couple textures and no detailing and it's a great jumps map.

Runamok

Post by Runamok »

I think bludshot has nailed exactly what I would want to say :)