playing with q3map2

General mapping discussions
Rayne
Site Admin

Re: playing with q3map2

Post by Rayne »

so when will the rest of us get this modified q3map2 to test this, and did you edit the standard q3map2 or the bum map version.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

This would actually be useful. you can make square lights for flouresent bulbs rather than round lights.

gsigms

Post by gsigms »

Rayne wrote:so when will the rest of us get this modified q3map2 to test this, and did you edit the standard q3map2 or the bum map version.

I actually have two versions of it:

The first one is a modification of the mainstream q3map2 (but as far as I have seen of the FS version, this should be straighforward to include since the modification just change the resulting bsp after the final light pass). This first version is a hack. I don t delete anything from the bsp, I just invalidate references to invis faces. I only tested on a test map wo patches/models/light/... so Idk if it would work on an actual map.

The second one is a standalone python script (it is actually a by product, I needed to write a standalone bsp parser/builder for another mapping tool idea I had, that s a way to test the parser/builder). This version does not need to modify shaders and actually remove faces/references to faces and update the bsp tree to remove subtrees that become empty (which result in a slightly smaller bsp). I tested this version on test maps and on the map I am working on, result works except for a small bug on model rendering that I need to figure out (this bug probably also exists on the first version, though I have not verified).

@Rayne,
To be honest I am a bit surprised someone asking for it.
I just finished alpha 1 of a jump map and the alpha test phase is about to start, that s why it was a low priority
I'll probably get back to trying mapping tool ideas next week
nemNEMnem wrote:yeah, not like ur avatar, gsigms, i find ur ones is difficult to masturbate, too. :D :D :D :D

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

You gonna give me that thing or do i have to drag my ass to France and steal it from you.

pickles
Site Admin

Post by pickles »

Yeah you go to France and find him Rayne lol

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

pickles wrote:Yeah you go to France and find him Rayne lol

I'd do that...but I'm not sure i can find my way on the map anymore :D

gsigms

Post by gsigms »

You will probably have another problem, I don't leave in France anymore :)

sorry I realize I was not clear in my previous post: of course you can have it!

I will make it available with a wiki page explaining the usage as soon as I have the time to get back to it and fix it which should happen next week.
nemNEMnem wrote:yeah, not like ur avatar, gsigms, i find ur ones is difficult to masturbate, too. :D :D :D :D

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

gsigms wrote:You will probably have another problem, I don't leave in France anymore :)

sorry I realize I was not clear in my previous post: of course you can have it!

I will make it available with a wiki page explaining the usage as soon as I have the time to get back to it and fix it which should happen next week.

Thank you, i could really use it on Siberia map.

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

Why is this better than using _minlight?

gsigms

Post by gsigms »

flajeen wrote:Why is this better than using _minlight?

don't think better or not is applicable here, these are two things with different uses:

_minlight is like ambiant light, but instead of adding extra light amount everywhere, it ensures a minimum light everywhere there is less than _minlight light.

invisible/non solid/light emitting brushes, are emitting light like any other light emitting shader, but you can't see the shader ingame, kinda like a light entity, you have to place them in your map, size of the brush and q3map_light[*] determine the amount of light emitted etc.