Future of gaming

A place to chat about anything you like, within reason
Rayne
Site Admin

Future of gaming

Post by Rayne »

I think what we need is an FPS game that has a online campaign mode. So people chose a side first, then log into a server, walk around the world and fight AI's to gain exp and then join their army in a real full scale war. A combination of 2 most popular genres, MMORPG and MMOFPS. Cause lets face it we already play FPS games where we level up like in RPG games but to this day we haven't had a FPS game that doesn't limits us to an arena.
So when you see a battle you can just join your teammates and fight or move along to another area with little to no enemy troops. Or maybe you browse the world and fall in a trap and call for reinforcements, or spot enemy camp and call in an air strike or whatever.

Each server represents a war so same like in MMORPG games once you chose a sever and made a character there you're pretty much stuck with it, so you can either fight till the end or leave to create a new character from scratch on another server.

Delirium

Re: Future of gaming

Post by Delirium »

Interesting concept actually. would be quite fun. if only urt were open source

nemNEMnem

Post by nemNEMnem »

if urt were open source, me and lux and the +GER+clan hadnt so much problems with FS and the gungameserver would be alive today :roll: :roll:

PS: there is an opensource project, called alturt, they work on a opensource urban terror, but its not very good
here the page: http://alturt.tk/
btw, i asked them if i can help em, but they said that they need anyone with "c" practice...
for a big tree, you need a small axe.
--Bob Marley--

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

I think a game like that would require a slightly more advanced engine that can handle open spaces better.

Rylius
King wiki

Post by Rylius »

alturt is pretty much dead, forget about it.
Forget the whole idTech3 engine, forget Unity, forget XreaL, forget UDK, forget CryEngine.

You'd need a _very_ specialized engine, I don't know anything that can handle tons of players and still deliver Quake 3 niveau networking.
Open spaces aren't too much of a problem, even UrT HD will handle them quite well in the end - the biggest problem is networking, and as I said there is probably no engine that is optimized for this.

If you guys get enough artists I'll be in as a programmer
:P
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> I did like a reverse jizz
<Delirium> in my pants
<Delirium> my jeans went into my sack
<Delirium> through my dick

nemNEMnem

Post by nemNEMnem »

alturt is definityl NOT dead, rylius, but there are only 2-3 workers and they dont spend 24/7 on it.
if it were dead, they wouldnt write me back.
for a big tree, you need a small axe.
--Bob Marley--

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Rylius wrote:alturt is pretty much dead, forget about it.
Forget the whole idTech3 engine, forget Unity, forget XreaL, forget UDK, forget CryEngine.

You'd need a _very_ specialized engine, I don't know anything that can handle tons of players and still deliver Quake 3 niveau networking.
Open spaces aren't too much of a problem, even UrT HD will handle them quite well in the end - the biggest problem is networking, and as I said there is probably no engine that is optimized for this.

If you guys get enough artists I'll be in as a programmer
:P

very true, networking would be a major issue in a project like this one.
As for player rendering i think crytek engine would fail miserably, UDK same.
I believe the only engine that would handle this properly is frostbite engine used in BFBC2. That game has massive maps with huge open areas, almost fully destructable environment and excellent physics.

Rylius
King wiki

Post by Rylius »

It depends on how big you make the map and how many players should play at once.
Not sure of Frostbites capacities (not interested in it either, WAY too expensive anyway lol), but it does have it's limits - would need a clearer concept to decide.
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> I did like a reverse jizz
<Delirium> in my pants
<Delirium> my jeans went into my sack
<Delirium> through my dick

LynXIII

Post by LynXIII »

http://www.globalagendagame.com/

I tried it a while ago, its free2play, not bad a game, it's just too much RPGish for me. But you have open areas with quests n stuff and territorial wars between clans and all that (although for that I think you have to subscribe iirc).