swear swear q3map2

A place to chat about anything you like, within reason
johnnyenglish
Space cake

swear swear q3map2

Post by johnnyenglish »

I've been working on a beta of bus stop for about 3 weeks, 2 weeks ago I noticed that any light compile I tried with bounce crashed q3map2, stack overflow.

I did'nt worry too much, I've been using cheap compiles and assumed I'd be able to fix the problem later.

Anyway, earlier this week I decided it was time to sort out the issue with the compiler crashing so I downloaded a few versions of q3map2 and compiled them for 64-bit ubuntu, I even tried the bumpy version and compiled it up, worked perfectly for all my other maps but crashed every time for bus stop.

Ok I thought, may be I'll try using the Windows versions of the compiler which work fine using Wine on Ubuntu - all these crashed also.

I removed all the light entities, all the models, everything I could think of, even all the shaders - the compiler still crashed after the first bounce.

So this morning I decided to install Windows 7 (64 bit) and try my luck with radiant and q3map2 under windows. I then installed radiant and q3map2 using rambetters guide http://daffy.nerius.com/radiant-compile-win/ - it's for 32-bit windows and requires a bit of fiddling to get it to work on 64-bit windows.

Finally, I copied my mapping enviroment across to windows, got Radiant 1.6.2 working and went to compile the map... crashed again!!!

You know what, it's not worth the effort - I've started to rebuild the sodding map from scratch.

Rayne
Site Admin

Re: swear swear q3map2

Post by Rayne »

Why do you even use bounce. It makes the light look unnatural, destroys the shadows completely and make the compile times longer.
I know you're using normal maps so why don't you just use -radbump switch and kick bounce out.
Radbump adds light in a similar way bounce does except it looks more realistic. If you're worried about dark shadows just use minlight, it doesn't kills the contrast one bit and does a pretty good job when you need global lighting.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

minlight is horrible, and is a poor excuse to lazyness. it makes shadows and light more flat and unnatural than bounce does

Rylius
King wiki

Post by Rylius »

Just don't go overboard with minlight, 20-40 makes some decent results
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> I did like a reverse jizz
<Delirium> in my pants
<Delirium> my jeans went into my sack
<Delirium> through my dick

MajkiFajki

Post by MajkiFajki »

I have played with minlight. I can see easily minlight in maps. The shadows just stop "being shadows" and at some point whole area is the same. For human eye it's very unnatural.

-bounce 99 rulez.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Don't use minlight regardless, it looks shit...

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

Back to subject, You sended mapfile for an another mapper to check what could be wrong?

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

Did you try compiling another map or a very simple map??

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

minlight 10 and lower exposure value work perfect.
bounce 99 is ridiculous, bounce 99=shadows 0

MajkiFajki

Post by MajkiFajki »

... but bounce 99 means that compiler will bounce as long as there is sense in it. For example ut4_poland stop bouncing about in 16th bounce and Cascade about 8th (afaik).