New Counterstrike

A place to chat about anything you like, within reason
Rayne
Site Admin

New Counterstrike

Post by Rayne »

As most of you already know new Counterstrike will be released soon, August 21'st to be precise.
Just like previous games from the CS franchise this one will support modding and custom maps. An SDK is already out there, available for download to all those that managed to get their hands on the beta key.

The new game is still based on the source engine, updated for CS:GO however. And i have to admit i love it. It looks very good, lighting is great, special effects are great.
This is how UrT HD should but sadly probably never will look like. Maybe in 5 years or so.

I waited for a long time for some sort of updates on the engine, received none. Whatever suggestion i make is being "taken into consideration". After 4 years I'm tired of "it's taken into consideration". 4.2 will be released soon, and i honestly still don't understand the point in spending so much time and adding so much stuff into an older version of the game. With bumpy client UrT 4.2 = UrT HD - AC. Simple math, nothing complicated here. Except it wont come with the bumpy client by default so mesh based maps still wont be worth releasing cause everyone will use a client with an old pipeline.
It looks to me like the next release just isn't worth waiting for anymore. I've spent a lot of time supporting the FS team, and i still do. But i just don't have the patience or the will to build anything for either 4.1.1/4.2 or HD.

It's too frustrating, its too time consuming and the limitations of the engine are just making the work completely unrewarding.
Knowing it can and should look better and yet not having it is like having a 500 bhp car and only be able to use 50.

I will finish Constantine, and release it. Wont really bother myself with how it looks like cause with this engine it can't look as good as it should no matter how much i try.
If other "pro" mappers are happy with their 256x256 textures and their 128x128 lightmaps from 1999, fine.
I however wont satisfy with it and want more. I don't care about computers based on single core processors and 7 years old GPUs.
If you want to play a game with settings set to max, buy something half decent. Don't come with a piece of crap intel atom netbook and ask if it will be able to run UrT HD at stable 125 FPS. That's just idiocy.

Tomorrow I'm starting on a new job, i will have even less time than before and i want to spend that time on something well worth spending on.
After 8 years of playing, 4 years of waiting and 2 years of vigorously backing FS team up i am finally tired and ready to move on.

This "announcement" of CS:GO and it's mapping capabilities turned into another of my rants but this time i have to make a decision and i made it.

HappyDay

Re: New Counterstrike

Post by HappyDay »

To be honest, judging by the screenshot I don't really see why this isn't possible in UrtHD. Well, does CS have dynamic lighting (the shadows of the trees for example)? If not, I'd say this is quite possible in urt. :)
Have a happy day! :)

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

I know for a fact it's possible. Both the shadow quality and the dynamic lighting and the post processing.
I know it's possible cause I've seen modified idtech3 engines and they all had it.

HappyDay

Post by HappyDay »

Hmm, I don't mean possible at some point in the future, I mean you can do that in urt right now.
Have a happy day! :)

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

HappyDay wrote:Hmm, I don't mean possible at some point in the future, I mean you can do that in urt right now.

You can't, it will look nowhere near as good as this. And the house model in the back...I'm afraid to even imagine how bad breaks in the lightmaps would be.
But hey, if you think it can, go for it prove me wrong.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

UrT HD? Not in a million years.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Well, as you named this site custom map makers and not urt map makers you should keep us informed about counterstrike mapping, what tools you need etc.

banksy

Post by banksy »

i have been waiting for CS:GO for so long, being a CS:S and DoD:S player myself I cant wait. Pity I cant access the SDK due to being on a mac :/

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

Pretty much same reasons why i stopped mapping for urt and now im trying to mod/map S.T.A.L.K.E.R ShoC. So bad i can't compile map for this game because of some evil errors :evil: