Find a job

A place to chat about anything you like, within reason
kryta

Find a job

Post by kryta »

Hi all!

Well, at this moment I haven't job and I have spent a lot of my time for learning all about urban terror level designer, you can see my first map in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=734

I suppose that for many of you it's a hobby, and actually for me too, but is possible to find a level designer job? for urban terror or any other game?

Thank you and regards.

Kryta.

Markinho

Re: Find a job

Post by Markinho »

Sure, not in urban terror tho, bigger software houses hire level designers/modelers/artists, but you will need a serious CV to have a chance

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Don't want to shoot your dreams down or anything but...knowing level design for UrT ain't gonna get you a job.

You wanna do level design professionally, you'll have to know either cryengine 3, or unreal engine 3, or source engine, or unity engine.

Those 4 aren't easy, scripting for unreal is difficult, but it's a must know.

Cryengine's SDK looks pretty damn scary when you first fire it up. A lot of possibilities.

Source engine and hammer can be very frustrating.

I haven't tried unity yet but i know uses some really great ways of making materials.

Out of those 4 i suggest you start with source engine.
Hammer resembles radiant. Some commands and entities will look familiar so it's not hard getting used to the world builder.
And there's a lot of games based on source engine that are really popular, some even free (Team Fortress 2).

Either way, you have a long road ahead of you, it ain't straight, it ain't easy, but with a lot of will and even more hard work it's doable.

kryta

Post by kryta »

Hi.

Thank you for your comments.

I love GNU/Linux and I don't like Windows, Any of those engines are in Linux?

Regards

thelionroars

Post by thelionroars »

kryta wrote:I love GNU/Linux and I don't like Windows, Any of those engines are in Linux?

Yes. Unity engine is cross-platform, and so is the Source engine these days. Not sure about Unreal, and CryEngine definitely not.
<JohnnyEnglish> that was hours ago, I've been out for a run since then, topped up my pond, fed the fish, took daughter to post office to collect book that postman couldn't deliver, watered tomatos, stood and pondered for 20 minutes and smoked a water pipe
<JohnnyEnglish> also painted my toe nails pink to match this new bag I found
<JohnnyEnglish> and made a carpet from some belly button fluff I found in the cat

FrankieV

Post by FrankieV »

Well making a map for a AAA title is not a know all or nothing position.

I have a friend who has worked on more than a few high end games as a map maker and she most times refers to her position as being a map monkey.

The reasoning is simple in that a AAA map requires the efforts of dozen of individuals working from the bottom up.

Granted just my opinion but if you can make a top notch UrT map then you have at least the working skills and some of the maps I've seen are just as good if not better that whats available in some AAA games.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

What Frankie said is true.

No amount of skills in map building (and some high end UrT mappers are a living proof of this) will make you a good level designer if you don't have the imagination needed to design a good map.

A simple example are battlefield: bad company 2 maps versus battlefield 3 maps. While BC2 maps have an even flow, balance and contain plenty of objects you can use for cover and to advance from one point to another, BF3 maps can only be described as clusterfuck maps.

Which shows just how much more important your creativity is than your actual map building skills.

skuzzzz

Post by skuzzzz »

kryta wrote:but is it possible to find a level designer job? for urban terror or any other game?

The answer? ABSOLUTELY!
Here is something to think about okay? Off the bat you must understand that the video game market in terms of creation (independent developers, mods, standalone versions of games) has EXPLODED! And the creativity and abundance is exponential!

Would you get a job as a level designer for Urban Terror? Probably not. Why? Not because you lack the skills or drive or creativity for the job, but simply because Urban Terror already has the team it needs.

Truth is, all you need is a solid portfolio. No matter what anyone tells you, THIS is the most important piece that you must have to obtain a job in the 3D field! So, if you are really familiar and skilled with GTK Radiant and you can bust out some very impressive levels with this tool, PERFECT! You don't HAVE to learn anything you don't want to! My suggestion is this. At this moment in your life make the decision whether or not you SERIOUSLY want to be a level designer. If you are sure this is what you want to do, then start today.

Start creating levels that you love, and put all of your passion into them. Every level you design, take pictures of it, maybe even a few of the design process and begin creating a professional portfolio. A "Showcase" of your work! This portfolio should be short and to the point, but still show off your work in an impressive way.

After years of hard work and dedication, you will have simultaneously gained experience in the field. Record how long you've been working with Radiant NOT necessarily the video game. Record your achievements and struggles, and how you over came certain obstacles. Then, if the time is right, begin exploring different software. Technology is advancing, and chances are the company you get an interview with, won't be using the software you're used to. BUT, I tell you what. This is the BEST advice I've ever heard from mentors in the 3D animation field. Most employers look for people who posses a real sense of drive and passion for what they do. If you can show a company what you're made of, and that you're willing to learn whatever it is to get the job done, AND you have a great looking portfolio, they will almost ALWAYS take that person under their wing over the guy who simply has a degree in design.

Food for thought.