My weekend mini challenges

Everything relating to mapping competitions
Delirium

My weekend mini challenges

Post by Delirium »

http://www.urbanterror.info/forums/topi ... allenge-1/

Check em out, will be held weekly every weekend.

xandaxs

Re: My weekend mini challenges

Post by xandaxs »

Sadly i won't be able to participate.
Not until i can release all of these projects i've laying around.
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

This would only take 10-20 minutes of your weekend to bring a little bit of creativity out of you... but ok

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

This would be even cooler if the resulting map objects were made open source as part of the contests... You wouldn't have to pak up the map just share the map and textures or whatever. What do you guys think?

Lunaxe

Post by Lunaxe »

bludshot wrote:This would be even cooler if the resulting map objects were made open source as part of the contests... You wouldn't have to pak up the map just share the map and textures or whatever. What do you guys think?

I like the idea... might even participate if that's the case :D Work for the benefit of others and yourself
Care to see some of my work? http://www.youtube.com/user/xxlunaxexx

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

I think its an easy way for things to get stolen. And like, by being able to see an object ingame most people would get a fair idea on how to make it. The last thing I want to happen is for someone to pull open peoples objects and make a whole map out of them. I think I'll make it optional, I'll take the lead making mine open source.

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

Nothing would be "stolen", because the participants would know that this was an open source exercise and that they were intentionally sharing their work. I think you should encourage it by saying that you will package them all up in a release zip, perhaps hosted at CMM or something.

It should be optional so people who really don't want to share could still participate.

Imo, for every few lame maps that nobody every plays or cares about where a noob mapper crams it full of open source map objects and free Blackrayne models etc, there would be 1 cool map where someone has gratefully used someone else's map object (that would have otherwise never been in a playable map) in an interesting way.

When you go open source on something, the attitude needs to be that you don't mind if a few morons use your open source thing in a lame way on something stupid, for the chance that smart people will use it for something good that you would be proud to see your work in. Imo it's no problem because the lame stuff will never get popular anyway. Also, if a mapper shared a map object that ended up getting overused by the community and ruining it's uniqueness, that should also not be a problem because the mapper is obviously good enough to create new more unique things in their maps that weren't shared. Which is also why it's good to make it optional in case someone makes something they really want to keep to themselves.

What do you other mappers feel about this idea, especially ones who participated in the fence challenge and maybe future challenges. I see Lunaxe thinks it's cool :p

Lunaxe

Post by Lunaxe »

I agree, well see what the other mappers think :P Optional (granted) would be the best idea... not sure why i didnt consider that haha
Care to see some of my work? http://www.youtube.com/user/xxlunaxexx

DagF

Post by DagF »

I will just say that i am thinking of working some more on the model i made, and make a gate and such for it then realease it. It was my plan all the time.

I am here becouse of os, and i consider it positive if someone uses my models becouse then i feel like i have helped someone and given back some of what i've gotten. I know you guys know what im talking about.
And the fact that moust of what i make in this contests will be models changes some of the setting for giving out the map.

I don't think there is a reason to discuss this really. If someone would like something one mapper made i think they would ask for it. And then if the mapper is willing to share it he would just uploade it and thouse who needed it would be able to get it. As for me; everything i want to share will be placed at my side. So my entries to this and proberly the rest of the challenges(witch i love as they give me the chanse to make some of the models i got on my list and oversees so many times) will be uploaded here: http://dagfro.de/models.html

I agree with the optional.