Re: UrtJumpers - CMM Jump mapping - Progress report

Post by Drezil »

gold! pirate gold! :p

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Aye - pirate gold

Or more accurate, aztec gold from the first movie.

AAAACs3Q2D8AAAAAAAhf-A.jpg
AAAACs3Q2D8AAAAAAAhf-A.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 21585 times

I haven't made this properly yet, the coin you see is just a temporary one.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Spent a day on this - probably needs 2 more days to make it better

Drezil

Post by Drezil »

make the walls more interesting.. some holes in it .. some stuff on it and make it all non-solid. the jump can then be made with playerclip or similar

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

Caves look like simple brushes right now, with 3dsmax you can make it look much better. Look at Happy's cave in Exhibition, looks great.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

1st Required progress report - deadline 2nd Feb

As I've been posting on a regular basis I've decided to keep this pretty short but use a lot of pictures to tell the story so far.

Early on I decided I needed a whole load of models and stock sections. I'm not a fast mapper compared to some but I do work sparingly. If I need an object twice, I'll generally convert it to a model.

Models can be complex objects made with a modelling app or brushwork that is repeated, I'd rather drop a model into a map, scale it, rotate it and forget it than fight with a selection of brushes which I know will break apart if I rotate them or scale them.

Basic spawnroom

Spawnroom showing only detail brushes
Spawnroom showing only detail brushes

Spawn room with models

Spawn room showing structural brushes, detail brushes and models - note the struts are all models
Spawn room showing structural brushes, detail brushes and models - note the struts are all models

Models tend to be pre-textured and that can save a lot of time.

The biggest drawback until recently was that models often need to be clipped to prevent a player walking through them but now we have gsigms model clipping tool I can simply run the clip scripts at compile time to create a seperate map that is compiled while I continue to work on the none clipped version.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about read this....CMS model clipper

Very early on, first day I made lights, barrels and other props, I still have a large list of these to make and the originals will probably get re-made before the end, thats another advantage of using models, you can make a version 1 - place them in your map and when/if you feel inclined - make a better model later - it's going to get updated the next time you compile your map.

porthole.png

lantern.png

barrel
barrel

FOR URTHD

As part of the event specified that mappers should aim to make the jump map with urthd in mind I decided to include the new gametype, jump training.

There is very little official information about this and as yet FS haven't released any detailed information about the entities. Some maps have been made which include this mode so I based my version on those.

shot0011.jpg

The aim of jump training mode is to capture all the crystals for your team, when all crystals have been collected the game ends. In order to make this work in my map I'll include "runs", ways to pass jumps in order to gather crystals in other parts of the map.

So, a team may split up with members concentrating on collecting a specific or set of crystals -

Here's a test with 1 crystal, I'm really sorry it took me so long to climb up, the screen recorder was making everything jump (I was running 2 screen recorders)

TEXTURES

Been making, finding and improving my textures as I've gone along - I tend to work initially with quite large images eg:

textures.png

I've also included normal maps and bump maps, there's a lot of information about making and using these in the wiki.

JUMP 1

Most of my time has been taken making jump 1 - the showcase jump. It's very simple - 3 layers of aztec coins in 2 rows - progressively they curve as the jump progresses so that the last (top) jump requires you jump a 40 degrees arc.

A lot of low detail models were used to create a busy town, I also used a skybox to add roofs and high up models.

The basic jump looks like this

Jump 1 most complex build - just showing detail brushes
Jump 1 most complex build - just showing detail brushes

Jump 1 showing models
Jump 1 showing models

The skybox was created below the map and includes more simple models - a couple of lights and the skybox entity

Skybox
Skybox

TO DO

Lots of work remain, painting models, remaking models, making a complete sky - detailing of all jumps.

Model textures need paint
Model textures need paint

House model
House model

Hope you enjoyed my first report.

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Pretty nice report!
Lovely idea with the jump training! :)

Good luck!
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

I've quietly been joining all the seperate parts of the map together, yesterday after spending a good few hours connecting up the sections I realised I'd forgot to add an important jump - in the center of the map so I decided to start again.

Whole map
Whole map

6 Areas - or jumps zones comprising 20 individual jumps - a spawn area, secret room and a couple of flags -- phew.

All I have to do now is start the massive job of re-texturing - making models and tweaking the jumps.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Jewels....

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Now all the map parts are joined I've started to make a world skybox for the map using 3ds max

Basically it's going to be some mountains (where the caves are) and some sea --- with ships

I've not added any sea yet, still laying out the mountains

shipmax.png

and in game it's starting to look realish

ships.jpg