Hi y'all

Welcome to the Custom Map Makers forum. We encourage new members to post a short note about themselves.
herbalTerror

Hi y'all

Post by herbalTerror »

Hey people,

I'm herbal (FLAP). I'm no mapper but I'm interested in mappers because I'm doing my phd thesis on videogame practices and am presently working specifically on the history of urt. I've interviewed a bunch of urt players, devs and so on. Mapping and jumping - and specifically jumpmapping - are of course very important to me, so I'll probably be lurking around and asking some of you people questions. Don't worry, nothing uncomfortable, I'm no psychologist :p

pickles
Site Admin

Re: Hi y'all

Post by pickles »

Welcome aboard :)

HappyDay

Post by HappyDay »

Hi there, welcome. I've heard about you, the phd guy :). I'm curious about your thesis. Which video game practices are you referring to, development practices, gaming practices, community practices or something completely different? Why are you specifically focusing on urt? PhD programs are usually about 4 years, right? Is there really enough work to do for that amount of time? What new insights do you hope to discover during your thesis? And what's your PhD in?
I hope you don't mind questions :D
Have a happy day! :)

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hi HerbalTerror, perhaps you should make a little map, find out what's actually involved in designing/building/selling your map. If you need any help getting started, you're in the right place.

herbalTerror

Post by herbalTerror »

I remember trying out macradiant years ago. Not sure if I'm ready to go through that again anytime soon ;) Maybe with the new UE4 engine there will be tools that feel more intuitive to unskilled people like me...
As for my PhD, the discipline is sociology. In short, its aim is to better undestand the various roles of videogames players lives, and how the practices evolve along "life stages". So its not a PhD about UrT at all, but that's the game i was playing when I started my phd and it has become a side-project: I want to document UrT in particular because I feel it is quite special in that its been around for almost 15 years, there are emergent uses of the game (trickjumping, mapping, pickups...), its status as a closed-source free game makes the relationship between gamers and devs really interesting (plus the fact that it gets attacked repeatedly in various ways) and the community is made of very different people with lots of creativity but also lots of criticism towards the devs. Hope this satisfies some of your curiosity Happy Day ;) If you wanna chat I'd be happy to do so (and ask you a few questions as well)!

HappyDay

Post by HappyDay »

Ah, sociology :) . Then I guess there's plenty of studies you can do. Your project sounds interesting, I'm always available to answer your questions. You can contact me on irc, here, urt.info or by e-mail, whatever suits you, I'm happy to help.
Have a happy day! :)

Biddle

Post by Biddle »

Hey HerbalTerror :D

herbalTerror

Post by herbalTerror »

Bonjour Biddle 8-)