taking texture requests.

Ask for custom models, textures and shaders here!
Rayne
Site Admin

Re: taking texture requests.

Post by Rayne »

Actually he's spot on. The center is sharper than sides. One side is also darker then the other, not much but enough to screw up the normal map and generate a somewhat flatter result.
Also the "ring" that frames the center leaf is much brighter, actually it's the brightest area in the map so it's kind of popping out. Those are the things that need more work, some balancing to even it all out.

cec I'm doing this for fun mostly, professional textures are most of the hand painted, and that's where i miserably fail unfortunately.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Here's what cec was talking about.
You can see on the upper image that there is a big difference in contrast between the left side and the right side. This is not a problem when the texture is made out of 20 or more tiles, they look different and that contrast makes them look natural.
However when you use just one single tile, this creates a very visible pattern that looks horrible.
Attachments
tiledemo.jpg

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Owww, I can see it
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> morning Nounou
[12:25] <JohnnyEnglish> wotcha doing?
[12:25] <Nounou> hello
[12:26] <Nounou> nothing much, i've nothing to do at work so
[12:26] <Nounou> modeling woman
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> woo
[12:26] <JohnnyEnglish> real women?
[12:26] <Nounou> realistic yes, on maya

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Well I've been thinking about this texture pack. More i browse the net looking for decent base images more i notice just how much do people steal textures.
From what i could tell licenses obviously mean squat and people stand in lines to rip apart texture sites and packs and add them to their own websites.
Therefore unless some sudden change occurs this pack will be released to selected few mappers that will put it to good use.
People like to open pk3's and use textures from them anyway so i believe it might be best to control the redistribution as much as i can.

280 files and growing.

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

280 including height and normal maps?
That gives 93,333333333 textures :D

Man, seeing you and Delirium developing textures packs reallymakes me ashamed of my low skills in image editing

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

xandaxs wrote:280 including height and normal maps?
That gives 93,333333333 textures :D

Man, seeing you and Delirium developing textures packs reallymakes me ashamed of my low skills in image editing

Yes, 280 including height and normal maps. Don't feel bad about it, i got 5+ years in photoshop and i think Del is close to that number too. Just keep practicing and with time you'll be just as good.

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

rayne, I understand your issue with texture rights etc, is there a way some of us could fill out a detailed form stating that we promise to not redistribute the textures without your permission? Or is there a way you could release a low res set that we could look at and then ask for the specific textures directly, that way we go through you to get the textures? idk but i would like to see some sort of solution that would release the textures to more than just a couple people, but keep the rights in the right place.
"I still miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is improving."

xandaxs

Post by xandaxs »

Rayne can create a low Res pack and distribute it, and Create a high Res pack he can give to the "chosen ones". (hehe, this word remind mr of middle earth films and games :D )

Or add a watermark to your textures so no-one uses them.
I think Moonie had the same problem with everyone using his textures, and he said he found a way to do this in the pk3 that would prevent stealing. I'll try asking him what he came up with

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

xandaxs wrote:I think Moonie had the same problem with everyone using his textures, and he said he found a way to do this in the pk3 that would prevent stealing. I'll try asking him what he came up with

sure! password the high res photos! complex enough and with enough characters that cracking the password is more hassle than its worth. Then only give the password to the people who you want to have the textures. not sure how you could do this in the pk3 without making sure that the game can access them... but maybe Moonie has the answer to that one!
"I still miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is improving."

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

By low-res I hope you mean 256x256, less than that is impossible to see the textures. Watermarks should do fine.