ut4_barge

Topics concerning mapping with the unreal 4 engine
KroniK

ut4_barge

Post by KroniK »

Hey everyone,

So I had this Idea to make a map using the abandoned McBarge in Vancouver as the layout and style of the map. Here are some reference photos and a video:
http://imgur.com/gallery/SWzGl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgTD53EHRw#t=189

I did a simple layout re-construction in Illustrator to try and get the scaling and layout about right. This map is planned to be quite small and have a lot of vertical game play.

The plan is to make this primarily a CTF, TS and Bomb map. I laid out in Blue and Red where I think the flags should go. I have a couple different alternative locations for each flag. I want the flags to be on different levels so assume that R1 is vs B1 etc. B3 is an alternative to B1.

Light gray boxes indicate solid areas which are not available, and dark gray boxes indicate an open space down to the lower floor. The thicker lines indicate the edge of the map on that floor.

The boxes on the roof are planned to be HVAC units which players can crouch behind. I wanted some line of sight blocking between all the ladders.

Let me know what you think of the layout.

McBarge Layout-01.png

McBarge Layout-02.png

McBarge Layout-03.png

I think my first step is going to be doing a quick and dirty mockup in radiant and see how the layout works. Try and get some people to play it and see if the map overall is just too small, as that could be a possibility. After that I'll model the entire thing in blender and then bring it in to UE4. Should be a fun little project.

I'll try and keep everyone up to date as I try to work on this.
Last edited by KroniK on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I still miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is improving."

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Re: McBarge

Post by johnnyenglish »

Do it do it, if you need any help once you're ready to convert it to ue4, give me a shout on irc.

KroniK

Re: ut4_barge

Post by KroniK »

Playing with radiant and the bumpy build... Its hard to get the water fog for fancy water just right.

So I spent a while making a bump map for my wood tiles and figuring out how to make a normal map with an appropriate amount of specularity etc. I think Im going to end up making this a full 4.3 map and then a UrTHD map after.

The following is a single water shader which looks great in both the standard build as well as the bumpy build:

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

Im taking my time with the textures as most of them will be used later when I move it over to UE4.

Here is a picture of this diamond plate and rusted diamond plate I made:

I made both the diamond plate and the rusted diamond plate by hand with photoshop. The only thing I didn't make is the actual picture I used for the rust. I'll probably end up making a seamless version but I want there to be quite a bit of variety, so I'll probably end up making 4-5 different versions which can be put together seamlessly in different ways. Although having those nice high res textures and bump maps is sure taking a lot of space... I only have like 5 textures and I'm already up to 20+ MB

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

I dont know if I'd bother making the 4.3 version so lovely, you just need to be able to run around and test it for jump distances. Once you've got something move it across to ue4 asap. Nice textures btw.

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

Yah, Im mostly using 4.3 to test textures and see how they look in some form of environment. I should probably figure that out in UE4 though. I'd kinda like to leave this as a 4.3 map as well though, because 4.3 doesn't have a simple vertical CTF map like this... we'll see how far I get.

I also made some other rust textures for various uses, this one can be horizontally tiled like so:

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

First floor done for now. Lighting is atrocious. Never really tried to light a map properly, so that will be quite the task when it becomes important.

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Post by johnnyenglish »

looking nice

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

Going back and completely re-doing most of the floors and walls so that I can get caulk in all the right places. Plus adding nice rounded corners and stuff. Will re-texture once I get the 2nd level built.

KroniK

Post by KroniK »

Welp this is it for the weekend. I might have some time this week to keep working on it. Not sure.