Annoying Frankie V

All the latest news and information will be announced here
johnnyenglish
Space cake

Annoying Frankie V

Post by johnnyenglish »

Looks like we were annoying enough to FrankieV so he decided to make us a nice video showing a brand new lighting technique called "Painting with lights".

I hope you find it as interesting as i did, to comment on the original thread please visit UrT.info forum.

Last edited by v3nd3tta on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed video link

johnnyenglish
Space cake

Re: Annoying Frankie V

Post by johnnyenglish »

The most important parts of this video and worth noting are the following points.

The new HD engine will switch all player model rendering to the GPU - I'm not sure whether this also applies to bullet mark decals and brass.

The new bottleneck, the real killer of HD maps will be complex, multi stage shaders, where possible mappers should switch from using shaders to only images which have bump and normal maps. Obviously, for special textures like glass or water, a shader is unavoidable.

It may now be possible to construct larger, more open maps. The efficiencies in the new HD engine and the switching of player model rendering to the GPU frees up a lot of processor time.

Use light entities in map, many and of low intensity to give more realistic lighting. Light entities create light and shadow maps at the compile stage and are not processed at run time

Dougy

Post by Dougy »

I loved watching this video, it was fascinating to see how far they've come along with dev work.

LynXIII

Post by LynXIII »

Yeah, following that development with interest. Still not convinced totally that it's the right way though. Looks too artificial imo.