Screenshots

Ideas and concepts for maps, discuss here.
bludshot

Re: Screenshots

Post by bludshot »

Last edited by bludshot on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Id say probably about 10% of people use bumpy. thats just an estimate of people ive spoken to.

Id say that the theme you told me you had in mind would be stunning

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Delirium wrote:Id say probably about 10% of people use bumpy. thats just an estimate of people ive spoken to.

Id say that the theme you told me you had in mind would be stunning

I think the main problem is that nobody explained them how to bump map. And i don't mean how to add _n and _b maps but how to generate them properly. It was all just thrown in front of them 2 or 3 years ago and left there.
It took me solid 6 to 8 weeks to master bump mapping and understand how it works.

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

Last edited by bludshot on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Yea and if done.properly would add another 5-20MB to the filesize of your map. makes you wonder just how much its worrth

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Delirium wrote:Yea and if done.properly would add another 5-20MB to the filesize of your map. makes you wonder just how much its worrth

i think it is worth it, UrT HD maps will have to be bigger in size, and people will just have to get used to downloading maps that are 40+ MBs in size.
Good thing about bump mapping is that the _n and _b maps can be only half the size of the diffuse map without a significant loss in quality.
So a 256x256 _n map is only like 128 kb in size, and on top of that TGA files compress very well unlike of jpegs, so it comes down to around 64 kbs per 256x256 _n map.
So the increase in size isn't that big.
People will just learn how to check out new maps before adding them to their servers. And that's good cause server quality will improve a great deal if they run well built maps rather than some crap just cause it support 32+ players.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Agreed.

We need more mappers to post their ss's

bludshot

Post by bludshot »

Last edited by bludshot on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

bludshot wrote:
Rayne wrote:People will just learn how to check out new maps before adding them to their servers. And that's good cause server quality will improve a great deal if they run well built maps rather than some crap just cause it support 32+ players.

No, don't worry, people will still figure out how to make things retarded :P They will just be bumpy and retarded.

I wish i could say i disagree with this statement but unfortunately i can't.
I've so many people complicating simple things and doing something without looking, let alone thinking about what they're doing.

flajeen

Post by flajeen »

bludshot wrote:Those are just temporary textures for a playtesting beta :) So, definitely not bump mapping them. As for the final version textures, I wasn't really planning on bump mapping them either but I'd like to get up to date and maybe find some statistics on how many people even use bumpy in 4.1 (especially in league competition).

No1 uses bumpy in competition. It always decreases FPS at some point of the map.