Screenshots

Ideas and concepts for maps, discuss here.
ValkoVer

Re: Screenshots

Post by ValkoVer »

lol 36k too much

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

ValkoVer wrote:lol 36k too much

why do you constantly complain.
1024x1024 textures are too big, FPS will be low, too much shaders FPS will be low, too much tris FPS will be low.
Neither of those things are too much for HD engine. FYI r_speeds 1 shows barely 5k tris under HD, and that's the truck plus the bridge+ a building +12 trees+6 barrels+misc models.
Under vanilla that count would be around 120k. So no 36k is not too much, in fact it's not enough.

ValkoVer

Post by ValkoVer »

Even mapobjects in "nextgen" games don't use that much tris for single objects im pretty sure. We have normal/bump mapping for small details. Think about 5 y/o pc users. And You can throw these polygons somewhere else i think.

btw 1024x1024 textures are ok, unless they are used everywhere and for everything :P

Rylius
King wiki

Post by Rylius »

I use 1024x1024 textures for everything in Rain, 512x512 looks too low quality.
36k IS a lot, but if it turns out at less than 5k ingame - why the hell not?
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> I did like a reverse jizz
<Delirium> in my pants
<Delirium> my jeans went into my sack
<Delirium> through my dick

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Rayne its all about rationing the tris, that tris could be spared elsewhere. details like the tire tread could be removed and easily faked with bump mapping, same with the grill on the sides, there's too much curvature going on with the model, IMO it could be a lot more simple. But we're all here to give our honest feedback everyone saying "that's great" gets no one nowhere.
Tohunga only improved because people said it was shit, Facade has had a massive overhaul now because people don't play it and say its crap. If everyone said they liked it, I wouldn't change a thing cause in my mind its perfect.

I use 512x512 HEAPS, cause in my mind 256x256 is too low, but after seeing the performance changes sometimes you need to sacrifice that extra detail. 1024x1024 I use sparingly, and when I do its normally always a .jpg :P

36k --> 5k seems a bit unreal, I normally divide it by 1/2 cause of face culling. Got a ss?

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Bumpy vs vanilla.
82k in software rendering, 6k in hardware. My GPU eats those models up like candy and the fan speed doesn't exceeds 35%.
Tank model in BFBC2 has well over 200k in tris, difference is it's a LOD model. All next gen games models have tris counts in hundreds of thousands. LOD saves those games from being unplayable.
We don't have LOD models for environment, but on the other hand our models (and this truck will be THE most complex model) won't go over 60k, which IMO is perfectly acceptable.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

FUCK...

that's all I have to say...

Honestly, how does it even...?

Rayne
Site Admin

Post by Rayne »

Delirium wrote:FUCK...

that's all I have to say...

Honestly, how does it even...?

I don't know. But i think we should send an e-mail to Peter and thank him.
I plan to push the tris count to the max today, I'll add as much models to a scene as i can and see when will the FPS drop.

Delirium

Post by Delirium »

New sites up http://www.gotdelirium.com/ updated everything.

Yeah, he deserves a great thanks! though I feel that something isn't right about that, suddenly >80k tris "disappearing"??

MajkiFajki

Post by MajkiFajki »