ut4_prison

Ideas and concepts for maps, discuss here.
GladGrim

ut4_prison

Post by GladGrim »

Not sure if anyone has had this idea before but sorry if I'm copying you!

Very new to mapping and am looking for tutors and people to help me create this map.
Here is a snapshot of my layout so far.

I'm a noob to mapping so please be patient with me while I learn the basics of creating a map.

If you have any suggestions/idea's feel free to pm me in IRC I idle in #ftwgl, #pugbot, and #glad.
or leave a post here

Rylius
King wiki

Re: ut4_prison

Post by Rylius »

The layout needs more routes, right now it's just one big place where everyone will meet.
Here's some nice article to get known to some basics: wiki/index.php/Layout:Dragonne
We also have some more articles if you want to go into depth: wiki/index.php/Category:Layout

Also keep in mind to use caulk on every surface players won't be able to see.

If you have any questions we're at #cmm on freenode ;)
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> I did like a reverse jizz
<Delirium> in my pants
<Delirium> my jeans went into my sack
<Delirium> through my dick

GladGrim

Post by GladGrim »

I realize that there's a big open space in the middle but I kind of wanted it to be the concrete yard in prison. I was also thinking about just placing a bunch of objects in the yard to have things to hide behind in fire fights.

I can add more routes around the backs of building etc. not sure if you want me to make the pathways more narrow or what though. The layout guide is helpful but does it mean I should just revamp my whole layout?

GladGrim

Post by GladGrim »

Also I should add that this is going to be a strictly ts map, and the layout shouldn't be symmetrical.

Rylius
King wiki

Post by Rylius »

Yeah, it won't be much fun on just one big yard tbh.
The yard itself is fine - add more routes, make the map bigger so it's more than just this one place. You got some nice locations there, make them bigger and add corridors, put parts of the map indoors.
There should never be symmetry in a layout. But especially in TS it's critical to provide lots of space to move and flank.
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> in my pants

GladGrim

Post by GladGrim »

I am a super noob and don't know how to make tunnel/boxes you can walk inside of. I am wanting to make underground passages / building connectors but am in need of a decent guide. Can you point me in the right direction?

Rylius
King wiki

Post by Rylius »

You just drag a new brush on top of a corridor and texture the bottom side like so:
radiant.png

You can switch perspective in the 2D view by pressing Ctrl + Tab. Move the brush where it belongs and you're pretty much done.
You can also texture individual faces by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Middle Mouse Button. It will use the currently selected texture, marked in red in the texture browser.

I'm not sure how you're working right now but I'm doing my brushwork in the 2D view and the texture related stuff in 3D - works best for me.

Before actually working on a real layout/map, you might want to start out with something smaller like our weekly challenges (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=502) - it's really annoying to finish half of the map just to see you messed up the layout or made some mapping errors in some way. (I'm still busy redoing most of my map (~4.5k brushes) because I screwed up on nearly every wall. :))
For now I think it's best you do some small things to get the hang of Radiant and mapping in general - you'll have enough time worrying about layout later on :)
You're welcome on IRC, there's someone there almost all the time and it's probably easier to help you there instead of writing here.
Rain - Blog - deviantArt
<Delirium> in my pants

theRipper

Post by theRipper »

grimz? that you?

GanjaGuy

Post by GanjaGuy »

dunno if anyone mentioned but the actual map name ut4_prison has been used and it is a common theme from ut4_prison to ut4_jail to i think ut4_lockdown or something not to mention the ut4_alcatraz map that last i checked was happening. but the more the better imo just dont actually use that exact name {:{D