Looking for map idea

Ideas and concepts for maps, discuss here.
skuzzzz

Looking for map idea

Post by skuzzzz »

Well guys, i'm finally going to put the lid on ut4_shipping and do a final compile. Once I submit it here and the UrT forums I will wash my hands of it.

So. I wanted to ask all ye' mappers if there is something in particular anyone is wanting to see made into a level? Preferably a Small - Medium sized map.
I am seriously open to all suggestions! I will even provide a layout if we can agree on a concept.

RedSnappa

Re: Looking for map idea

Post by RedSnappa »

I would like to see a map like this, but with a different layout.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps finished: Hellhouse, Sorry, Worrior 1-20
Maps modded: CubeOrigin
Maps in release candidate: Blockforts, Cannons 1, Hotzone, Icecastle
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation
Maps in alpha: Merlin, Totem

skuzzzz

Post by skuzzzz »

Boom. That was quick! Absolutely perfect idea RedSnappa. I loved Chiron in Halo, and this would be fantastic to create for UrT. I feel like FFA, TDM and CTF would be the only gametypes to work with the map.

The portals will be extremely fun to create! I will hash out a design, and tell me what you think.

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

For an added bonus, you could set up several different sets of teleports with some way to toggle which set is in use. This would make the map more random, which was the whole point of Chiron.

FFA, TDM, and CTF would definitely be the main gametypes here. CAH or BOMB would be interesting, but a clear advantage would go to those who map out the maze and teleport paths. I don't see LMS, TS, or FTL working too well here.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.
Maps in beta: Arctica, Cannons 2, Cerulean-River, Igloo, Skygarden, Spacestation

skuzzzz

Post by skuzzzz »

RedSnappa wrote:you could set up several different sets of teleports with some way to toggle which set is in use

Would that mean assigning a set of portals to a certain 'group name' or 'group type' and then a different switch, when activated, would turn different sets of portals on and off?
Is this actually possible within Radiant? Or UrT I should ask?

RedSnappa

Post by RedSnappa »

I know you can do it with two sets of portals, one off and one on. An entity would toggle between them. I am not sure about more than two sets of portals.
[LCDLC]Snappa
LCDLC Mapmaking Dept.

skuzzzz

Post by skuzzzz »

I'm having a some difficulties coming up with some layouts. This may be a bit harder than I thought. I want the flow to be just right but of course keep the level somewhat balanced for both sides.

Issue 1) Certain portals may make it way too easy to capture a flag.
Issue 2) Should the map have a 2nd floor?
Issue 3) What size of a map would players enjoy the most? Small, Medium, or Large?

If any would like to submit their ideas, it would be greatly accepted!

Iye

Post by Iye »

hm.
teleports
you could place the portals in a way that they wouldnt get you closer to gour own flag. like they only get you to the opposite side of the map
second level:
hm. for a good ctf map (with that theme) i wouldnt do a second level. maybe something like a single upper floor way, like on that generator facility map. dont ask me about the name xD
size:
for ctf i would do it medium to large, depending on the number and links of the teleports.
if you dont want to make the teleports a relevang part of the map - and i personally wouldn't do that - so you can cap a flag without using teleports you would better do it medium max.
like the size of casa SV maybe...
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|

skuzzzz

Post by skuzzzz »

Iye wrote:you could place the portals in a way that they wouldnt get you closer to gour own flag.

Makes sense. I can work on this.

lye wrote:i wouldnt do a second level. maybe something like a single upper floor way

I agree with this. Not to mention having a single floor will save a lot of time too. Now when you say, single upper floor way, do you mean a vantage point? Maybe something for snipers to get a slightly better view of an area?

lye wrote:medium to large, depending on the number and links of the teleports.

Agreed. I don't think anyone here would enjoy an effortless CTF map with tiny corners.

Iye

Post by Iye »

nah. i though you wanted to do an indoor map, so i think a single upper corridor would do it. maybe more sniper friendly.
also you could arange it in a way that a player covering that corridor would also have a view on another way, as soon as he turns left/right. sonhe could do a more easy def job, but also be flanked more easy.

gawd. dat tablet keyboard....
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|